Special Funding Opportunities
LAUREN FLEMING GRANTS
Request for Proposals
Lauren E. Fleming, PhD
Lauren Fleming was a dedicated philosophy professor who saw the value of engaging her students in real world questions and real world solutions, and devoted much of her own time to service in her community. In her honor and memory, Georgetown University and the Philosophy Department are pleased to offer grant opportunities to philosophy students interested in combining philosophical work with community engagement.
In order to be eligible for a grant, applicants must be either graduate students in philosophy or undergraduate philosophy majors or minors at Georgetown University. In order to be awarded a grant, an applicant must be able to describe a concrete project that draws explicit connections between philosophy and real world ethical, political, or social problems. Grants will range from $500 to $2000. Funds can be used for expenses related to any form of work that brings together philosophy and community engagement, including but not limited to:
- Teaching in the community
- Developing curricula with a community engagement or service component
- Engaging in community outreach, volunteer work, or activism related to research or teaching
- Conducting field research in support of philosophical work or teaching
Preference will be given to projects with an anticipated benefit to members of underserved, disadvantaged, or vulnerable populations. At the conclusion of the grant period, awardees will be expected to give a public presentation about their projects, either in a class or in a gathering in the Philosophy Department. Applications should include:
- A 500-word proposal that describes the project, its relationship to the applicant’s philosophical work, and a timeline for completion.
- The applicant’s CV or resume.
- A budget proposal, detailing how funds will be spent.
All application materials should be submitted to the grant committee chair, Karen Stohr, via the Georgetown Philosophy Department. The application deadline is rolling, with proposals welcome at any time. For questions, please contact Karen Stohr at email@example.com.